Thursday, November 26, 2009

Poulan Pro PP125 17-Inch 25cc 2-Cycle Gas Powered Straight Shaft String Trimmer With Split Shaft

Poulan Pro PP125 17-Inch 25cc 2-Cycle Gas Powered Straight Shaft String Trimmer With Split Shaft Review


My Poulan Pro pp125 arrived quickly and has worked great! It starts easily, idles perfectly, and with the Tanaka Quiet line I bought at Amazon it cuts really well. I live in Hawai`i on 2 acres and am using it to cut the Guinea Grass which is 4 feet high and quite tough, but the trimmer is doing the job. I thought I would need a brush cutter, but that isn't the case. I think the Poulan Pro pp125 is an excellent value, and with free shipping a great deal!

I bought the following items at Amazon along with the Poulan Pro pp125:
Tanaka 746570 Quiet Trimmer Line, .095-Inch x 285'
Tanaka Perfect Mix 2-Stroke Oil 6.4 oz. Bottle - 6 Pack #700207
Dewalt DPG55-11C Clear Anti-Fog Protective Safety Glasses with Dual-Injected Rubber Frame and Temples

Before buying the pp125 I read all the reviews, which I found quite helpful. What I found was that the negative reviews were mainly from people that had problems with the engine stalling when accelerating the engine. The one star review titled "Not as Good as I Hoped" by Araxiel is the one that got me thinking. In it he says "A worker who was doing repairs on a neighbor's house comes over and tells me that my problem with stalling is that my oil/gas mixture has too much oil." In a Comment he wrote "Update: I took the advice of the worker who recommended adding some gas to the tank to reduce the percent of oil in the mix. I put in about 4 ounces and lo and behold, the trimmer ran perfectly." He now has the pp125 rated 4 stars!

I am using the Tanaka Perfect Mix oil at a 50:1 ratio as recommended and it works great. On the Tanaka website, in their FAQ section, I found that the gas to oil ratio should be what the oil manufacturer has listed, and not what the manufacturer of the engine has listed. A part of one of the answers has "there are 16:1, 25:1, 32:1, 40:1 42:1, 50:1, etc. However, if you analyzed these oils, you'd find very similar amounts of the actual ingredients needed to provide the life allowing lubricity (even at these odd ratios)." This means if you take 50:1 oil and mix it at 40:1 there will be too much oil in the mix, so we need to make sure we are mixing the oil and gas as the oil manufacturer lists. I don't know what oil Araxiel was using but I think this is very important information!

I contacted Poulan Pro and asked about the oil ratio and received the response "Any good two stroke air cooled not water cool will work. 40/1 is OK." I wrote back providing the link to the Tanaka FAQ I have listed above and also wrote "A 40:1 ratio when using Tanaka Perfect Mix is not appropriate." He replied with "Thanks I will send this on to the engr. group."

Poulan Pro PP125 17-Inch 25cc 2-Cycle Gas Powered Straight Shaft String Trimmer With Split Shaft Feature
  • SureFire 25cc 2-cycle Gas engine
  • 17-Inch Cutting Width
  • .095-Inch Diameter Cutting Line, Dual Exit
  • Attachment Capable
  • Straight Shaft
Poulan Pro PP125 17-Inch 25cc 2-Cycle Gas Powered Straight Shaft String Trimmer With Split Shaft Overview
Optional attachments and a split boom shaft turn the Poulan Pro 25 cc 2-cycle gas trimmer into 6-tools-in-1: trimmer, edger, blower, cultivator, brush cutter, or pole pruner. The straight shaft trimmer features a 17-inch cutting width and dual exit .096-inch diameter cutting line. This tool also includes a durachrome cylinder for extended engine life, heavy duty automatic clutch, Tap N Go dual line cutting head, and an effortless Sure Fire pull starting system that eliminates complications with the choke. It is backed by a 2-year limited manufacturer's warranty.

What's in the Box
Poulan 25 cc gas trimmer

Related Products

Canister Vacuum Hurricane Shutters

No comments:

Post a Comment